Concrete actions to improve the Group’s environmental performance
The new Corporate Policy of ‘Sustainability, Quality, Health, Safety and Environment’ was adopted in 2019 and is based on an Integrated HSE (Health, Safety and Environment) Management System, certified according to UNI ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 standards. This drives Sirap’s commitment beyond mere compliance with the environmental regulations of the areas in which it operates.
Production activities are subjected to continuous technical and administrative analyses to preventively identify:
- the environmental impacts of our plants in the area
- the use of resources (water, energy sources) and materials
- the production and correct management of scrap, waste and emissions.
Sustainability also creates guidelines for choosing materials:
- growing interest in post-consumer recycled plastics (rPET) and bioplastics produced from renewable compostable sources (PLA, Mater-Bi™)
- continuous commitment to extrusion technologies that allow a reduction in the consumption of virgin raw materials (e.g. XPS).
Consumption data with sustainability objective
11,000 tonnes of post-consumer recycled rPET in 2019
50% average post-consumer recycled rPET in our PET products
+220t of bioplastics from renewable sources compared to 2018
-6% of electricity compared to 2018
-11% of total energy consumed (natural gas, diesel, electricity) compared to 2018
-17% direct greenhouse gas emissions (CO2 eq.) compared to 2018
80% of total waste recovered in 2019
+7% fraction recovered compared to 2018